A throwback photo of my cat, Tabby. She can teach lessons on relaxing.
The last two weeks have been unusually busy and stressful. I haven’t been taking breaks like I should and I only stop working when I am exhausted at night. Last night, I only stopped working after my mother noted that I looked green. Even when I pause to watch a television show, I have been multi-tasking by checking email or doing something computer related. All of this has taken a toll on me physically and I have been sick for the last three days. On Sundays, I usually try to relax, but I am especially in need of self-care today. I need to recharge because the next two weeks are probably going to be just as busy and stressful.
Below is a list of things I am trying today.
- Sleeping in. I only slept until around 10:00, but it felt very refreshing.
- Taking a nap. Even after sleeping in, I was still tired by midday, so I took a nap with my cat. I felt a little better after the nap, but still drained.
- Taking a break from social media. I’m not on social media a lot anyway, but 5 minutes of social media was more than enough for me today. I think it makes me feel less present and disconnected.
- Spending time with friends. My friends are a pair of parakeets, but they miss me when I am holed up with my laptop. Time spent with them will make all of us happier.
- Taking a hot bath. The tub is one of my favorite places to relax. It also helped with the body aches which are a symptom of this bug I have.
- Watching a favorite movie. I love classic movies and possibly more than that, I love Paul Newman. When I woke up with a coughing fit at 3:00 a.m., I had trouble falling back asleep. I started watching Cool Hand Luke. Paul is gorgeous as always in this movie, plus his character is so determined. After being literally knocked down several times, the person he is fighting (George Kennedy) tells him to stay down. Luke tells the man he would have to kill him for that to happen. Yes! That is the type of spirit that I need. I wasn’t awake to see the unhappy ending, so I could enjoy Luke’s tenacity.
- Writing in my journal. I have a lot on my mind and it helps to let it out.
- Having something to look forward to. The second to last episode of Teen Wolf airs tonight. This is one of my favorite shows ever and the last several episodes have been very engaging and entertaining.