Self-care doesn’t have to be expensive or time consuming. In fact, it can be free or use what you already have.
Here’s 10 suggestions on how to celebrate International Self-Care Day (or if you read this later, have self-care any day).
- Watch an episode of your favorite show or read a chapter (or two) from your favorite book.
- Take a short walk.
- Take a bath and use the fanciest soap that you own.
- Write in your journal or just write a letter about something that has been on your mind.
- Spend time on a hobby that you usually neglect: such as knitting, drawing or anything that flexes your creative muscle.
- Spend time with your pets, if you have any. They will be appreciative of this as well.
- Plan your dream vacation. Even if you’re not ready to take the plunge, just imagining (and looking at gorgeous pictures) can be fun.
- Order in dinner if you usually cook. Cook yourself a simple dinner if you usually get take-out. Just switching up your routine can feel indulgent.
- Put on your comfiest pajamas and do absolutely nothing. Allow your brain time to relax and reset.
- Avoid doing something you don’t want to do. Canceling plans or avoiding an annoying chore can feel very relaxing.