Image Credit: Amazon.com
Clueless is one of my all-time favorite movies. When I was a teenager, I used to watch Clueless every third weekend. The other two movies constantly in rotation were Waiting to Exhale and Bad Boys. There’s so much to love about this movie. It captured the vernacular of teenagers at the time perfectly. For those that weren’t so hip, it introduced the majority to a brand new batch of slang.
The movie is also very funny. One of my favorite scenes is when Tai (Brittany Murphy) falls down the stairs at the party. Another favorite is when Tai is knocked out by the clog (“Rollin’ with the homies”). I am starting to realize Tai was probably my favorite character.
Most of Clueless is very quotable. Here’s a list of some of my favorites in no particular order.
- “As if!” – Cher
- “I’m not a prude, I’m just highly selective.” – Cher
- “Whatever.” – Amber
- “Oh my God, I am totally bugging.” – Cher
- “You guys talk like grown ups.” – Tai
- “If I’m too good for him, then how come I’m not with him.” – Tai
- “You see how picky I am about my shoes and they only go on my feet.” – Cher
- “What would I bring to the relationship?” – Cher
- “That was way harsh, Tai.” – Cher
Last but not least, the fashion in the movie was amazing. Actual teenagers at the time tried to dress like Cher and friends and they were not wearing costumes. I particularly remember girls wearing the sweater vest with the shirt tails hanging out. I fangirled over Mona May, the costume designer for Clueless (and Romy and Michele) on Instagram recently and she liked my comment. That was of the best moments of my summer.
Clueless has an enduring legacy and it captured such a fun view of being a teenager.